* Overheard in the store:
"Why didn't anyone tell me that the 'True Blood' tv show was just an R-rated 'Buffy'?!"
* Someone sent us an absolutely lovely bottle of Scotch from New York. We think it might be an Anniversary present, but we're not sure, since there was no note included with the bottle. If you were kind enough to send us this present, could you please let us know so we can thank you?
* Sadly, Crossed Genres Magazine is going to be closing their doors at the end of this year. Crossed Genres will continue to publish novels. http://crossedgenres.com/announcements/crossed-genres-magazine-to-close-after-december-issue/
* The newest Marvel Netflix series "Jessica Jones," will premiere in November. As old-school Jessica Jones fans, after seeing the full trailer, we find ourselves really looking forward to it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWHUjuJ8zxE
* Borderlands' owner Alan Beatts was on the Publishers Weekly podcast talking about the way the sponsors helped keep the store alive. Listen here; Alan's segment starts around 9:40: http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/podcasts/index.html?channel=8&podcast=494
* A map of Middle Earth annotated by JRR Tolkien himself is up for auction after having been discovered in a copy of LORD OF THE RINGS owned by late acclaimed illustrator Pauline Baynes. It is on display and on sale for 60,000 GBP.
* The trailer for the "Warcraft" film has been released, and if nothing else it looks like some good pulpy adventure fun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rxoz13Bthc
* For those who haven't discovered the joy of Secure, Contain, Protect -- it is a wiki with each entry a supposed item/artifact/person that is supernatural, inter-dimensional, or just plain weird. Some entries are sad, some fascinating, and others not to be read alone at night. http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-series . (One of our personal favorites is SCP-1000, Bigfoot.)
* Charlie Jane Anders over at io9 posted a great infographic from Orbit of the compliment of the ships in Ann Leckie's amazing Ancillary trilogy, which was completed last month: http://io9.com/get-to-know-the-incredible-starships-of-ann-leckies-anc-1733743808
* SETI has been listening to star KIC8462852, (the one with the strange light patterns that people think might be aliens,) for two weeks and have heard nothing, but they're not giving up yet. The Mary Sue has a full post on it: http://www.themarysue.com/seti-finds-no-sign-of-giant-alien-spaceships/
* "Supergirl" premiered, and as a treat for superhero movie adaptation fans, this iteration's parents are played by Lois & Clark's Dean Cain and "Supergirl" film's Helen Slater.
* Ann Leckie gave Publisher's Weekly her list of Top Ten Science Fiction Novels and there are some great, usually ignored gems on her list. http://publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/tip-sheet/article/68381-the-10-best-science-fiction-books.html
* A new "Star Trek" television series is in the works for 2017! We're simultaneously thrilled and terrified, and already busy creating that Dream Cast in our heads. (Jude wants Angela Bassett to play the Captain. And Dame Judi Dench should definitely be in there somewhere, too!) http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/03/arts/television/a-new-star-trek-tv-series-will-debut-in-2017.html
* Congratulations to editor (and Borderlands sponsor) John Joseph Adams. Publisher Houghton Mifflin Harcourt just announced that they're launching a new science fiction and fantasy line called John Joseph Adams Books/HMH that will be edited by JJA. According to Shelf Awareness, the line's "first three titles are simultaneous hardcover and paperback editions of SHIFT, DUST and BEACON 23 by Hugh Howey, which will be published in February ." http://www.shelf-awareness.com/issue.html?issue=2630#m30432
* Gunnar Hansen, who played Leatherface in 1974's iconic "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre," has died at age 68. http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/08/entertainment/gunnar-hansen-texas-chainsaw-massacre-obit-feat/index.html
* Happy Birthday to Ms. Ursula K LeGuin, one of the greatest authors of our time! http://www.tor.com/2015/10/21/on-this-day-ursula-k-le-guin/
* Congratulations to this year's World Fantasy Award Winners! http://www.worldfantasy.org/awards/
* The 2015 British Science Fiction Award Winners have been announced! http://www.britishfantasysociety.org/british-fantasy-awards/winners-of-the-british-fantasy-awards-2015/
* The Inaugural 100 Year Starship (100YSS) Canopus Awards, which celebrate interstellar writing, have announced their winners. http://100yss.org/news/press