* We're happy to announce that Borderlands Cafe will be hosting another free class from the University of the Commons. The topic this time is Zombie Apocalypse and the Utopian Tradition, which sounds completely fascinating. The class will meet each Thursday from 6:30 p m - 8:00 pm, beginning May 2nd, 2013 and ending June 20th. For more details, see http://www.uotc.org/wordpress/ .
* Thanks to Candi for pointing out this wonderful interview with the always-eloquent Ursula K. Le Guin from Berkeley's "California" Magazine: http://alumni.berkeley.edu/news/california-magazine/spring-2013-growing/song-herself. And, if you missed Ms. Le Guin's recent talk at the Townsend Center, you can watch it here: http://townsendcenter.berkeley.edu/media/ursula-k-le-guin-writer .
* GOBLINPROOFING ONE'S CHICKEN COOP wins Diagram Prize for Oddest Book Title of the Year: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/mar/22/diagram-prize-oddest-book-title-goblins
* Want to watch an alien being born? This giant, nearly-extinct "tree lobster" may be as close as you can get. (Squick warning for those sensitive to enormous bugs.) http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2012/02/24/147367644/six-legged-giant-finds-secret-hideaway-hides-for-80-years?sc=fb&cc=fp
* Wanted: volunteers for a one-way trip to Mars. Must be dependable, good in groups, uninterested in returning to Earth: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/03/16/mars-one-live-die-mars.html?cmp=rss
* LOST EVERYTHING by Brian Francis Slattery has won the 2013 Philip K. Dick Award. Special citation was given to LOVESTAR by Andri Snaer Magnason. For more details, see http://www.philipkdickaward.org/
* The cursed Roman ring that may have inspired Tolkien's One Ring is put on display: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/apr/02/hobbit-tolkien-ring-exhibition
* Oooh! io9.com has published an exclusive full chapter from the (eagerly awaited) forthcoming REPUBLIC OF THIEVES by Scott Lynch: http://io9.com/an-exclusive-chapter-from-republic-of-thieves-by-lies-468507382
* Thanks, Amanda -- "Tiny Octopus-Like Microorganisms Named After Science Fiction Monsters": http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/04/130403092702.htm
* I don't know exactly what to say about this. It's a recipe for "R’leh Easy Cthulhu Pot Pies": http://kitchenoverlord.com/2013/04/08/edible-art-cthulhu-pot-pies/
* Thanks to 7x7 SF for this really nice Borderlands mention in their article "Seven Two-in-One Coffee Shops to Give Your Caffeine Routine a Jolt": http://www.7x7.com/eat-drink/seven-two-one-coffee-shops-give-your-caffeine-routine-jolt
* We regret to report the death of author Basil Copper at the age of 89. http://www.locusmag.com/News/2013/04/basil-copper-1924-2013/
* We are tremendously sorry to re-post this bad news about one of our favorites, author Iain M.Banks: http://friends.banksophilia.com/