* For all of you Cthuluhu fans, something I never expected to see on NPR: "'Softball-Sized Eyeball' Washes Up In Florida; Can You I.D. It?" http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/10/11/162740104/softball-sized-eyeball-washes-up-in-florida-can-you-i-d-it
And then the mystery was solved: http://deepseanews.com/2012/10/solved-where-did-the-big-eye-in-the-sea-come-from/
* A bit of post-Halloween creepiness for you: skeletal remains found in 100-year-old tree uprooted by Sandy: http://blog.ctnews.com/sandy/2012/10/30/skeletal-remains-found-in-uprooted-tree/#8185-2
* Robert J. Sawyer shares the five biggest misconceptions about science fiction writers: http://www.cbc.ca/books/canadawrites/2012/10/robert-j-sawyer-five-myths-about-science-fiction-writers.html
* Thanks to Chats for the link to this New Yorker article on how bookstores select their stock & why even esoteric human selections trump suggestion engines: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/books/2012/10/the-bookstore-brain-how-bookstores-choose-their-books.html
* The restored desk where Bram Stoker wrote DRACULA is up for auction, if you happen to have an extra $60,000 - $80,000 lying around. http://www.plushasia.com/article/18902
* Overheard in the store: "There ought to be a word for wanting to hug someone and strangle them at the same time. There probably is, in German."
* Thanks to Amanda for this link to the Dead Author Podcast: http://thedeadauthorspodcast.libsyn.com/
* Holiday Hours:
Borderlands Books will be closed on Thanksgiving (November 22nd), Christmas Day (December 25th) and New Year's Day (January 1st, 2013). We will close early, at 6 pm, on Christmas Eve (December 24th) and New Year's Eve (December 31st). We will be open late, until 10 pm, the week before Christmas (December 17th - 23rd).
Borderlands Cafe will be open from 8 am to 6 pm on Thanksgiving Day. On Christmas and New Years Eve we'll be open from 8 am to 5 pm and on Christmas and New Years day we'll be open from 10 am to 5 pm.