* Because of the way copy deadlines fell last month, we missed reporting on the death of science fiction legend Ray Bradbury at the age of 91. There are endless obituaries available, but instead we'd like to call your attention to this sweet little article on the origin of an inspiration, published by Bradbury just a few days before his death. http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/06/04/120604fa_fact_bradbury
* We're sorry to report the death of author James (Jim) Young in mid-June. One of the founders of MiniCon, career diplomat, actor, friend, all-around wonderful guy. Too soon, Jim.
* Our friends at virtual Handee Books now have a blog! Check them out here: http://handeebks.com/blog/
* Surreal, beautiful and fantastic "Wonderland" photo series created by photographer Kirsty Mitchell in her mother's memory: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2145760/Wonderland-Kirsty-Mitchell-heart-breakingly-beautiful-photographic-series-memory-extraordinary-life.html
* Loren Rhoads (local author, and editor of the legendary "Morbid Curiosity Magazine" and the book MORBID CURIOSITY CURES THE BLUES,) will be teaching a class at the Writing Salon on Saturday, July 14th from 10 am - 4 pm. The topic is "Reading, Performing or Presenting in Public: Let Your Voice be Heard", and the workshop will focus on preparation for reading or presentations, and reducing anxiety. The cost is $110, and you can sign up here: http://www.writingsalons.com/class-descriptions/reading-in-public/
* As part of our long-term plan to increase the range of titles we carry (without diluting our focus), Borderlands will begin carrying the top 3 - 5 titles in selected categories from the New York Times Bestseller List in July. So, FIFTY SHADES OF GREY coming soon! (Alan is holding his head in his hands at this moment and weeping softly.) But seriously, we'll be carrying some titles solely due to their position on the NYT list, regardless of our opinions of them. As always, we do not believe that it is our right as booksellers to act as censors, and in fact it is our duty not to.