* Tor / Forge e-book titles will go DRM-free in July, 2012. Which means that you can make as many copies as you like and read the books on any device: http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/04/torforge-e-book-titles-to-go-drm-free
* As a science fiction and fantasy fan and bookseller, I am the first to admit that I am enormous geek, and I love geeks, and am delighted to be surrounded by them all the time. But this level of geekery makes me simply gasp in awe: http://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelnoer/2012/04/23/how-much-is-a-dragon-worth-revisited/
* Borderlands has some signed copies of Paolo Bacigalupi's new novel THE DROWNED CITIES available. Reserve one now, they're going fast!
* The Locus Awards are being held June 15th - 16th, 2012 in Seattle. "Tickets for the SF Awards Weekend are $40 and include all Locus events -- including readings, a kickoff meet-and-greet, panels with leading authors, an autograph session, the lunch banquet, and the annual Hawai'ian shirt contest judged by the fabulous Connie Willis, who will MC the ceremony and present the Locus Awards -- all followed by the Clarion West Party on Saturday night honoring Clarion West supporters, awards weekend ticket holders, and special guests. The events are held across the street from the Seattle Center, home to the SF Hall of Fame and the Experience Music Project, with excellent access to the light rail and trolley systems. In addition, non-profit literary organization NW Media Arts is sponsoring special Awards Weekend writers workshops with James Patrick Kelly and Connie Willis at the nearby Richard Hugo House. Additional fees apply." Find detailed information here: http://locusmag.com/Magazine/2012LocusAwardsAd.html
* Oh, wow. Microsoft is teaming up with Barnes and Noble to compete with Amazon and Apple in the ebook market wars. Things are bound to get even more interesting: http://www.macrumors.com/2012/04/30/microsoft-invests-300-million-in-nook-to-take-on-amazon-and-apple-in-e-book-market/
* Baen Books is looking for beta testers. From editor Jim Minz: "Beta testers for what, you may ask? For PLANET BAEN, of course. This is a web-based, Facebook-integrated game that not only is a fun way to waste time, but actually earns you FREE EBOOKS simply by playing. (Note: you do NOT have to be signed up on Facebook to play, but if you are, it's easier for folks to give you gifts, etc). It's actually pretty simple, sort of like a very basic cross between Farmville and Civilization (but waaaay more basic), where you create a colony and then guide that colony to grow and succeed. The better the colony does, the more free ebooks you'll earn. We're giving away a free ebook to anyone who just signs up to beta test, and the more you help with testing, the more ebooks you'll earn. <https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10151566755520271> or <http://www.planetbaen.net/>
(this second link will change to <http://www.planetbaen.com/> once we launch on June 15)."
* We're sorry to report the death of actor Johnathan Frid, who played Barnabas Collins on the original "Dark Shadows". I wonder if he got to see an advance of the new movie, and, if so, what he thought? <http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-jonathan-frid-20120420,0,5560319.story>
* We're quite saddened to hear about the untimely death of author and editor K.D. Wentworth. <http://www.tulsaworld.com/ourlives/article.aspx?subjectid=58&articleid=20120422_11_A21_ULNSah213780>